Monday, October 5, 2009

The Olympic Games are headed to Rio de Janiero

This weekend was just as exciting to me as the Cariocas that packed Copacabana beach to celebrate the news that Rio would be hosting the Olympics in 2016. I have been traveling to Brasil for over three years now, and I am always excited to visit what I call my second home.

The first thing that comes to most people mind, especially people who haven't been to Brasil or know too much about A Cidade Maravilhosa, or "The Marvelous City" is security. I am pretty sure that anyone can find plenty of statistics that shows that the crime rate is high in Rio. I have seen some alarming numbers after I really started to want to know more about Rio and Brasil as a whole. I make this point because I'm not saying that Rio doesn't have some issues to work out before the games start, but I would say that 98% of the people that I have met that have traveled to Brasil have a overwhelming positive experience and have told me that they will continue to make return trips to Brasil. Some like myself have even decided to relocate to some part of Brasil after being engulfed by Brasil's beautiful culture, loving people, and uncountable hours of fun and excitement. I think what people have to realize is that violence is in every major city and when a large group of people is without the proper infrastructure and a chance to better their lifestyle, you will always have a high crime factor. I have been to Rio at many different times of the year, including their busiest times at new years, carnival, and even the Pan-American games in 2007. I will say there was a strong presence of security and I felt that Brasil did a good job at hosting the event. Another thing I would like to point out is that on New Year's close to 2 million people come together on Copacabana beach to sing and dance well the night sky is filled with fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment